Financial Crime and Fraud Investigations
Our extensive experience of tackling financial crime and fraud has taught us the importance of acting quickly and getting expert assistance. Achieving a rapid response can be critical to the success of any investigation.
Our team brings together fraud and financial crime experts with a range of backgrounds in criminal investigations, forensic accounting and forensic computing and are skilled at conducting sensitive financial investigations.
We work closely with colleagues from across BDO’s international network to provide expertise where and how you need it.
Our investigation services include:
- Rapid response fraud investigation
- Investigation into accounting irregularities and financial misstatements
- Corruption and bribery investigations
- Regulatory investigations (including Skilled Person assignments)
- Asset tracking and recovery
- Investigations linked to contentious insolvency matters
- Quantification of loss
- Background checks and desktop reviews
- Specialist advice to the board on next steps
Our Forensic Technology Services include:
- Data scoping/mapping
- Defensible forensic data collection
- Data interrogation, including forensic image analysis of personal computers, servers, mobile devices, and other data sources
- Processing and hosting of data for electronic disclosure
- Application of and consulting on cutting edge technology, including Technology Assisted Review and continuous machine learning
- Expert witness services and trial support
- Backup & archive data restoration
- Structured data analytics
- Social network intelligence analysis
We take a consultative approach in assisting our clients by applying the appropriate tools or methodologies to achieve the best outcome. As such, we may utilise data analytics at any stage of an engagement, for instance to target data collection or optimise keyword search strategies. We also use analytics to interrogate large volumes of transactional data e.g., to identify potentially fraudulent or duplicative transactions.
The project team at BDO has had extensive experience of offering and supporting technology assisted review tools ranging from Relativity analytics right through to the new generation of analytics, Brainspace.
BDO uses market-leading processing software to allow indexing and analysis of large data volumes. This stage allows the client to quickly cull irrelevant data, produce detailed reports on data content and estimate future costs, time scale and resources required downstream.
BDO partners with Relativity, the world’s most used review tool. Relativity can be accessed securely across the globe and can even be deployed remotely. This review tool is both intuitive to use and can support small to large review teams reviewing anywhere from a few gigabytes of data to multimillion documents. The dashboards allow the review manager to clearly understand the workflow and timing/resources that will be required to get the job done.
BDO’s eDisclosure team works with a reliable and trusted review provider to provide a seamless managed review service. BDO will effectively manage the review, providing regular reports tailored to your needs and quality control processes to ensure that you can trust the results.
We understand that disclosure is not the end of your matter. We have relationships with court presentation and trial support providers. Evidence bundles can, and often do, require change throughout trial and we can work together with you and your chosen provider to ensure that changes and updates are carried out in an accurate and responsive manner at this crucial time. We are also able to act as expert witness to any of the forensic technology services that we have been involved in.